To control Omnisphere using the Nord Lead 2, you’ll need to do the following:
- Using a MIDI cable, connect the Nord Lead 2 to your MIDI interface.
- Verify that your Nord Lead 2 is transmitting MIDI and your MIDI interface is receiving MIDI.
- Set up the front panel controls to send CCs.
- Enable the Arpeggiator to send notes via MIDI.
- Make certain your MIDI interface is configured as the input in the host software you’re using (DAW, Standalone, etc.).
- Activate the Clavia Nord Lead 2 Hardware Profile in Omnisphere 2.5 or higher.
MIDI OUTPUT SETUP
To make sure the front panel controls in your Nord Lead 2 transmit MIDI, hold down SHIFT and press the PROG/CTRL button. Then, press the PROG/CTRL button again and when the left character of the display is a C (which stands for “Control”), use the up/down arrows to set it to C.on.
ARPEGGIATOR MIDI OUTPUT
To make sure the arpeggiator in your Nord Lead 2 transmits MIDI, hold down SHIFT and press the PROG/CTRL button. Then, press the PROG/CTRL button twice and when the left character of the display is an A (which stands for “Arpeggio”), use the up/down arrows to set it to A.on.
Open your host (DAW, Standalone, etc.) and make sure the MIDI interface you’ve connected the Nord Lead 2 to is enabled as a MIDI input device.
|Omnisphere Standalone||Pro Tools|
Open Omnisphere and from the header, select the HW menu button:
From the drop-down menu, select “Nord>Nord Lead 2” to activate that hardware profile.
The Nord Lead 2 is not only a classic virtual analog synth, but it’s also a great controller for Omnisphere! In designing this hardware profile, we made decisions to achieve a balance between being faithful to how the Nord Lead 2 works and using its panel creatively to make the most of it for controlling Omnisphere. This means that some controls perform special functions that expand the capabilities of the hardware. Here’s a quick overview of how we set up this profile:
OSC 1 affects Layer A.
OSC 2 affects Layer B.
The FM DEPTH knob affects FM Depth of Layer A. When SYNC is enabled (without RING MOD), the FM DEPTH knob additionally affects Bit Crush on Layers A and B.
Omnisphere’s oscillators have their own Hard Sync parameter, which is independent from their frequency. This allows you to create sounds that go beyond what’s possible in most hardware synths. When using SYNC, keep in mind the following:
- When SYNC is activated, the frequency of the oscillator in Omnisphere’s Layer B is not slaved to the frequency of the one in Layer A. This means, for example, that you can tune the oscillators a fifth apart and still obtain “hard sync” sounds.
- If you activate SYNC and then engage a pitch modulation to OSC 1, you will need to disable and re-enable SYNC to get the expected behavior.
When UNISON is enabled, the FINE TUNE knob affects Unison Detune.
When the WHEEL destination is set MORPH it affects the Orb.
When the WHEEL destination is set LFO1 it affects the Depth of Omnisphere’s LFO1. If after setting this destination the LFO1 AMOUNT knob is moved, the LFO1 modulation will be active regardless of the position of the Mod Wheel. Reset the WHEEL destination to LFO1 to control it via the Mod Wheel again.
The communication between the Nord Lead 2 and Omnisphere is one-way: the Nord Lead 2 sends information to Omnisphere, but not the other way around. As a result, when a patch is loaded in Omnisphere its settings will be different than those in the panel of the Nord Lead 2. For example, an Omnisphere Patch might have Unison enabled while the UNISON switch in the Nord Lead 2 is disabled. In a case like this, to disable Unison in Omnisphere press the UNISON button twice.
LOADING OMNISPHERE PATCHES FROM THE NORD LEAD 2
If you want the load Omnisphere Patches from the Nord Lead 2, follow these steps:
- On the Nord Lead 2, hold down SHIFT and press the PROG/CTRL button.
- Press the PROG/CTRL button again until the display shows P (which stands for ‘Program’).
- Use the up/down arrows to set it to P.on.
- In the Omnisphere Patch Browser, right-click the name of the Patch you want to load.
- Select “MIDI Program Change Learn” from the menu.
- On the Nord Lead 2, press the Up or Down button. The number that you land on is the Program Change value that will be mapped to the selected Patch.
- A MIDI icon will appear next to the name of the Patch in the Omnisphere browser if the learning is successful.
The following Nord Lead 2 controls have no effect on Omnisphere:
- Master Level
- Velocity/Morph Assign
Not working? Here are some things to try:
- Is the Nord Lead 2 sending out of MIDI channel 1?
- Make sure your interface is receiving MIDI from the Nord Lead 2.
- Is your DAW receiving MIDI from the MIDI interface?
Still not working? More questions?
Feel free to contact us directly and we can work with you:
888-870-4223 toll free
Monday – Friday 10AM – 5PM Pacific Time