To control Omnisphere using the Roland MKS-80 and the MPG-80, you’ll need to do the following:
- Connect the MKS-80 to your MIDI interface.
- Set up the MKS-80 to receive/transmit System Exclusive messages.
- Activate the Roland MKS-80 Hardware Profile in Omnisphere 2.6 or higher.
NOTE: If you are trying to use this Hardware Profile on Windows, please read this first.
MIDI OUTPUT SETUP
- Connect the PROGRAMMER OUT on the MPG-80 into the PROGRAMMER IN on the MKS-80.
- On the back panel of the MKS-80, make sure the Input Selector Switch is set to the Programmer position.
- Set the MIDI FUNCTION switch on the front panel of the MKS-80 to “III.”
Open your host (DAW, Standalone, etc.) and make sure the MIDI interface you’ve connected the MKS-80 Super Jupiter to is enabled as a MIDI input device.
|Omnisphere Standalone||Pro Tools|
Open Omnisphere and from the header, select the HW menu button:
From the drop-down menu, select “Roland>Roland Super Jupiter” to activate that Hardware Profile.
Some of the controls in the Super Jupiter send System Exclusive (SysEx) messages. For Omnisphere to support this type of messages, the hardware synth must be connected to the computer before you select the corresponding Hardware Profile from the profile menu. If it’s not connected, you may see the following message:
If you connect the synth later, select “None” from the HW menu, then select the profile again.
Not working? Here are some things to try:
- Are you using a Windows machine? If so, please refer to this article about using SysEx on Windows.
- Is the front panel of the MKS-80 properly set up to receive/transmit System Exclusive messages?
- Is your DAW receiving MIDI from the MKS-80?
- If you are using the Omnisphere standalone host, make sure the MIDI output channel of the MKS-80 matches the MIDI channel of the Omnisphere Part you want to control.
- Make sure your DAW is configured to correctly route the MIDI output of the MKS-80 to the MIDI channel assigned to the desired Part in Omnisphere.
- Are you using a USB hub? Try connecting your Roland Super Jupiter or your MIDI Interface directly to your computer.
Still not working? More questions?
Feel free to contact us directly and we can work with you:
888-870-4223 toll free
Monday – Friday 10AM – 5PM Pacific Time