To control Omnisphere using the Roland System-8, you’ll need to do the following:
- Using a USB cable, connect the System-8 to your computer
- Verify that your System-8 system firmware is up to date with v1.12 or higher
- Download and install the appropriate System-8 USB driver on your computer
- Verify that “System-8” is the selected model on the System-8 front panel
- Enable “System-8” as a MIDI input device to Omnisphere in the host software you’re using (DAW, Standalone, etc.)
- Activate the System-8 Hardware Profile in Omnisphere 2.5 or higher
Check the firmware (system program version) of your System-8 by selecting the MENU button, then use the VALUE knob to select “VERSION INFO” and press the ENTER button.
The version information appears in the display:
If the display doesn’t indicate version 1.12 (or higher) access the Roland website, download and install the latest System-8 System Program.
Check to see if the necessary USB driver has already been installed by opening up Omnisphere standalone (or your preferred DAW) and verify the System-8 is on your list of MIDI inputs.
If the System-8 is not listed as a MIDI input, download and install the driver that is compatible with your computer’s operating system from the Roland Support page. Restart the host again and you should see it listed.
Make sure SYSTEM-8 is selected as a MODEL in the front panel.
Open your host (DAW, Standalone, etc) and make sure the System-8 is enabled as a MIDI input device.
|Omnisphere Standalone||Pro Tools|
Open Omnisphere and from the header select the HW menu button:
From the drop-down menu, select “Roland System-8” to activate that hardware profile.
LOADING OMNISPHERE PATCHES FROM THE SYSTEM 8
If you want the load Omnisphere Patches from the System 8, follow these steps:
- In the Omnisphere Patch Browser, right-click the name of the patch you want to load
- Select “MIDI Program Change Learn” from the menu
- On the System 8, select the bank you wish to assign (A through H) and then press the preset number (1 through 8) you’d like to assign.
- A MIDI icon will appear in next to the name of the patch in the Omnisphere browser if the learning is successful
The following System-8 controls have no effect on Omnisphere:
- Part On/Off Lower, Upper
- Panel Select Lower, Upper
Not working? Here are some things to try:
- Make sure the MIDI Channel is set to Ch.1
- Is “System-8” the selected model on the System-8 front panel?
- Is your DAW receiving MIDI from the System 8?
As a last resort, you can restore the Factory Settings by following the steps below. Note that this will delete all your user patches as well as saved PLUG-OUT settings:
- Press the MENU button
- Use the Cursor buttons K J to select UTILITY within the menu, then press the ENTER button (doing so will open the Utility screen).
- Use the Cursor buttons K J to select FACTORY RESET, and then press the ENTER button
- Use the VALUE knob to select ALL and press the ENTER button
- Press the ENTER button again to confirm the Factory Reset
- Turn the System 8 off and back on again to complete the reset
Still not working? More questions?
Feel free to contact us directly and we can work with you:
888-870-4223 toll free
Monday – Friday 10AM – 5PM Pacific Time