To control Omnisphere using the Korg microKORG XL, you’ll need to do the following:
- Connect the microKORG XL to your computer via USB.
- Download and install the Korg USB MIDI Driver from their website. Note that Korg’s USB-MIDI Driver does not work in macOS Catalina or Big Sur. For more information refer to Korg’s website.
- Set up the microKORG XL’s front panel controls and Arpeggiator to send MIDI.
- Enable the microKORG XL as a MIDI input device in the host software you’re using (DAW, Standalone, etc.).
- Activate the microKORG XL Hardware Profile in Omnisphere 2.6 or higher.
Download and install the latest Korg USB-MIDI Driver (version 1.15 or higher) from Korg’s site here.
NOTE: Korg’s USB-MIDI Driver is not compatible with macOS Catalina or later. If you are using an incompatible macOS, connect the Korg using the MIDI DIN connector and skip the driver altogether to connect to Omnisphere. Refer to Korg’s statement regarding Catalina/Big Sur compatibility on their website here .
MIDI OUTPUT SETUP
- Turn the EDIT SELECT 2 knob to “FULL EDIT.”
- Turn the PAGE knob to show the “MIDI FLT” (MIDI FILTER) setting.
- Turn the PARAMETER knob to the “CTRL CHG” (CONTROL CHANGE) page.
- Turn the VALUE knob to “ENABLE.”
- Press the EXIT button
ARPEGGIATOR MIDI SETUP
Follow these steps to set up the microKORG XL’s Arpeggiator to output MIDI:
- Set the Knob Function Select dial to “FULL EDIT.”
- Turn the PAGE knob to select “GLOBAL.”
- Turn the PARAMETER knob to select “POSITION.”
- Turn the VALUE knob to select “POST KBD.”
Open your host (DAW, Standalone, etc.) and make sure the microKorg is enabled as a MIDI input device as well as enabling the KBD/KNOB controls.
|Omnisphere Standalone||Pro Tools|
Open Omnisphere and from the header, select the HW menu button:
From the drop-down menu, select “Korg>Korg microKorg XL” to activate that hardware profile.
The following MicroKORG XL controls have no effect on Omnisphere:
- Full Edit
Not working? Here are some things to try:
- Is your DAW receiving MIDI from the microKorg XL?
- If you are using the Omnisphere standalone host, make sure the MIDI output channel of the microKorg XL matches the MIDI channel of the Omnisphere Part you want to control.
- Make sure your DAW is configured to correctly route the MIDI output of the microKorg XL to the MIDI channel assigned to the desired Part in Omnisphere.
Still not working? More questions?
Feel free to contact us directly and we can work with you:
888-870-4223 toll free
Monday – Friday 10AM – 5PM Pacific Time