To control Omnisphere using the Korg Monologue, you’ll need to do the following:
- Using a USB cable, connect the Monologue to your computer
- Verify that your Monologue is transmitting MIDI through USB
- Enable the Monologue as a MIDI input device to Omnisphere in the host software you’re using (DAW, Standalone, etc.)
- Activate the Monologue Hardware Profile in Omnisphere 2.5 or higher
First, download and install the KORG USB-MIDI Driver from Korg’s website.
Second, to make sure the Monologue is transmitting MIDI, press the EDIT MODE button under “EDIT” until GLOBAL EDIT is selected on the screen.
Press the Global 4 button button five times until “Enable Tx MIDI” is displayed. Make sure it is set to “On.”
Press the Global 4 button one more time and “MIDI Route” will be displayed. Make sure to set it up to “USB+MIDI”.
Open Omnisphere and from the header select the HW menu button:
From the drop-down menu, select “Korg Monologue” to activate that hardware profile.
Not only does the Monologue pack a lot of power into a small and affordable analog monosynth, it’s also a really nice controller for Omnisphere! In designing this hardware profile, we made decisions to achieve a balance between being faithful to how the Monologue works and using its panel creatively to make the most of it for controlling Omnisphere. This means that some controls do special functions that expand the capabilities of the hardware. Here’s a quick overview of how we set up this profile:
VCO 1 affects Layer A.
VCO 2 affects Layer B.
When the SYNC-RING is set to RING, the Ring Modulation is engaged and VCO2 PITCH knob affects Ring Mod Frequency. When set to SYNC, the VCO2 PITCH knob affects Hard Sync. When the switch is in the middle position, VCO2 PITCH controls Layer B’s pitch.
When the VCO 2 WAVE switch is set to NOISE, the VCO2 PITCH knob controls the noise’s stereo width when SYNC is selected. SHAPE works as a lowpass filter.
Omnisphere’s oscillators have their own Hard Sync parameter, which is independent from their frequency. This allows you to create sounds that go beyond what’s possible in most hardware synths. When using SYNC, keep in mind the following:
- When SYNC is activated, the frequency of the oscillator in Omnisphere’s Layer B is not slaved to the frequency of the one in Layer A. This means, for example, that you can tune the oscillators a fifth apart and still obtain “hard sync” sounds.
- If you activate SYNC and then engage a pitch modulation to VCO 2, you will need to disable and re-enable SYNC to get the expected behavior.
Each TARGET (PITCH, PITCH2 and CUTOFF) in this section uses the Filter Envelope but has different modulation routings in Omnisphere.
- When the TARGET is set to PITCH, the envelope affects the pitch of Layers A and B and the filter cutoff.
- When the TARGET is set to PITCH2, the envelope affects Layer B and the filter cutoff.
- When the TARGET is set to CUTOFF, the envelope affects the filter cutoff.
The Monologue features three envelope types that control both the Amp and Filter envelopes.
- When TYPE is in top position, the sustain level is set to zero giving the envelopes a more “percussive” shape.
- When TYPE is in the middle position, the sustain level is set half-way up.
- When TYPE is in the bottom position, the Amp Envelope is automatically set to “Organ” shape: zero Attack, full Sustain, zero Release. While in this position, the ENVELOPE knobs only affect the Filter Envelope.
Each TARGET (PITCH, SHAPE and CUTOFF) has its own LFO in Omnisphere.
- When the TARGET is set to PITCH, the LFO section affects LFO1.
- When the TARGET is set to SHAPE, the LFO section affects LFO2.
- When the TARGET is set to CUTOFF, the LFO section affects LFO3.
The LFO MODE switch affects the Trigger Mode and Sync of the selected LFO.
- When the LFO MODE is set the FAST, the LFO independently cycles regardless of when a note is triggered (Free).
- When the LFO MODE is set the SLOW, the LFO starts its cycle when the first note is played, but will continue its cycle when additional legato notes are played (Legato).
- When the LFO MODE is set to 1-SHOT, the LFO is in Legato mode and synced to the host tempo.
The DRIVE switch instantiates effects in the Common Rack.
When the DRIVE knob is all the way down it will turn off the individual effect.
The communication between the Monologue and Omnisphere is one-way: the Monologue sends information to Omnisphere, but not the other way around. As a result, when a patch is loaded in Omnisphere its settings will be different than those in the panel of the Monologue.
LOADING OMNISPHERE PATCHES FROM THE MONOLOGUE
If you want the load Omnisphere Patches from the Monologue, follow these steps:
- In the Omnisphere Patch Browser, right-click the name of the patch you want to load
- Select “MIDI Program Change Learn” from the menu
- On the Monologue, select the patch you wish to use
- A MIDI icon will appear next to the name of the patch in the Omnisphere browser if the learning is successful
The following Monologue controls have no effect on Omnisphere, because they do not send MIDI:
- KEY TRG/HOLD Button
- Voice Modes
- SEQ NOTE/SLIDE/MOTION Switch
- PROGRAM EDIT Sub-menus
Not working? Here are some things to try:
- Make sure the MIDI Channel is set to Ch.1
- Is your DAW receiving MIDI from the Monologue?
As a last resort, you can reset all Global parameters to the factory defaults by doing the following (note: make sure to select GLOBAL during these steps to ensure your custom presets are not erased):
- Power down the unit
- Press and hold the WRITE and EXIT buttons while turning the unit back on
- Use the PROGRAM/VALUE knob to select GLOBAL, then press WRITE (note that selecting PRESET or ALL will erase your custom presets)
- To confirm, use the PROGRAM/VALUE knob to select Yes and press WRITE
- After doing this, please follow the setup instructions again
TIP: Press the EXIT button, or select “No” using the PROGRAM/VALUE knob and press the WRITE button to cancel the operation. Never turn off the monologue while factory data is being loaded.
Still not working? More questions?
Feel free to contact us directly and we can work with you:
888-870-4223 toll free
Monday – Friday 10AM – 5PM Pacific Time