To control Omnisphere using the Korg Minilogue, you’ll need to do the following:
- Using a USB cable, connect the Minilogue to your computer
- Verify that your Minilogue is transmitting MIDI through USB
- Enable the Minilogue as a MIDI input device to Omnisphere in the host software you’re using (DAW, Standalone, etc.)
- Activate the Minilogue Hardware Profile in Omnisphere 2.5 or higher
First, download and install the KORG USB-MIDI Driver from Korg’s website.
Second, to make sure the Minilogue is transmitting MIDI, select the EDIT MODE button under “EDIT”. Then press the fourth Voice Mode button four times until “Enable Tx MIDI” is displayed. Make sure it is set to “On.”
Open your host (DAW, Standalone, etc.) and make sure the Korg Minilogue is enabled as a MIDI input device.
|Omnisphere Standalone||Pro Tools|
Open Omnisphere and from the header select the HW menu button:
From the drop-down menu, select “Korg>Korg Minilogue” to activate that hardware profile.
Not only does the Minilogue pack a lot of power into an affordable analog polysynth, it’s also really nice controller for Omnisphere! In designing this hardware profile, we made decisions to achieve a balance between being faithful to how the Minilogue works and using its panel creatively to make the most of it for controlling Omnisphere. This means that some controls do special functions that expand the capabilities of the hardware. Here’s a quick overview of how we set up this profile:
VCO 1 affects Layer A.
VCO 2 affects Layer B.
The NOISE knob affects Layer D level.
When the RING switch is up, the CROSS MOD DEPTH knob affects FM. When the RING switch is down, the CROSS MOD DEPTH knob affects Ring Mod.
Omnisphere’s oscillators have their own Hard Sync parameter, which is independent from their frequency. This allows you to create sounds that go beyond what’s possible in most hardware synths. When using SYNC, keep in mind the following:
- When SYNC is activated, the frequency of the oscillator in Omnisphere’s Layer B is not slaved to the frequency of the one in Layer A. This means, for example, that you can tune the oscillators a fifth a part and still obtain “hard sync” sounds.
- If you activate SYNC and then engage a pitch modulation to VCO 2, you will need to disable and re-enable SYNC to get the expected behavior.
Each TARGET (PITCH, SHAPE and CUTOFF) has its own LFO in Omnisphere.
When the TARGET is set to PITCH, the LFO section affects LFO1.
When the TARGET is set to SHAPE, the LFO section affects LFO2.
When the TARGET is set to CUTOFF, the LFO section affects LFO3.
When the EG MOD switch affects the Trigger Mode and Sync of the selected LFO.
When the EG MOD is set the OFF, the LFO independently cycles regardless of when a note is triggered (Free).
When the EG MOD is set the RATE, the LFO starts its cycle when the first note is played, but will continue its cycle when additional legato notes are played (Legato).
When the EG MOD is set the INT, the LFO is in Legato mode and synced to the host tempo.
The VOICE MOD DEPTH controls Unison Detune.
When VOICE MOD DEPTH is all the way down, Unison is disabled.
The OUTPUT ROUTING switch instantiates effects in the Aux Rack.
When set to POST FILTER, Retroplex is used with a vintage, dark tone.
When set to PRE FILTER, Valve Radio is inserted before Retroplex to create a lo-fi delay.
When set to BYPASS, Retroplex is used with no filtering applied.
The HI PASS CUTOFF knob affects the delay amount.
The following Minilogue controls have no effect on Omnisphere, because they do not send MIDI:
- Voice Modes
Not working? Here are some things to try:
- Make sure the MIDI Channel is set to Ch.1
- Is your DAW receiving MIDI from the Minilogue?
As a last resort, you can reset all Global parameters to the factory defaults by doing the following (note: make sure to select GLOBAL during these steps to ensure your custom presets are not erased):
- Power down the unit
- Press and hold the WRITE and EXIT buttons while turning the unit back on
- Use the PROGRAM/VALUE knob to select GLOBAL, then press WRITE (note that selecting PRESET or ALL will erase your custom presets)
- To confirm, use the PROGRAM/VALUE knob to select Yes and press WRITE
- After doing this, please follow the setup instructions again
Still not working? More questions?
Feel free to contact us directly and we can work with you:
888-870-4223 toll free
Monday – Friday 10AM – 5PM Pacific Time