To control Omnisphere using the Prophet 12, you’ll need to do the following:
- Using a USB cable, connect the Prophet 12 to your computer.
- Verify that your Prophet 12 is transmitting MIDI through USB.
- Set up the front panel controls to NRPN mode.
- Enable the Prophet 12 as a MIDI input device to Omnisphere in the host software you’re using (DAW, Standalone, etc.).
- Activate the Prophet 12 Hardware Profile in Omnisphere 2.5 or higher.
- Set up Omnisphere to work with the Prophet 12 Touch Sliders (optional).
MIDI OUTPUT SETUP
To make sure the controls in your Prophet 12 transmit MIDI through USB, press the GLOBAL button, navigate to 12. MIDI Out Select and set it USB to output MIDI only over USB or MIDI+USB to output MIDI over USB and the MIDI out port.
ENABLE NRPN MODE
Set the controls on your Prophet 12 to send MIDI as NRPNs by pressing the GLOBAL, navigate to 7. MIDI Param Send and set it to NRPN. Once you are done, press the GLOBAL button to exit.
Open your host (DAW, Standalone, etc.) and make sure the Prophet 12 is enabled as a MIDI input device.
|Omnisphere Standalone||Pro Tools|
Open Omnisphere and from the header, select the HW menu button:
From the drop-down menu, select “DSI Sequential>Sequential Prophet 12” to activate that hardware profile.
TOUCH SLIDERS SETUP (optional)
The Prophet 12 has two position- and pressure-sensitive touch sliders. Each slider serves as two modulation sources and their values are determined by finger position and pressure. These sources appear in the Prophet 12’s modulation matrix as Slider 1 Position, Slider 2 position, Slider 1 Pressure, and Slider 2 Pressure. You can set up Omnisphere to respond to them.
Go to Omnisphere’s System Page and in the Modulation assignments section, click on the Sostenuto menu and select “Move MIDI Controller.”
Gently slide your finger over Touch Slider 1 to capture the position controller number. The Sostenuto menu should display CC 14.
Click on the Soft Pedal menu, select “Move MIDI Controller” and slide your finger over Touch Slider 2 to capture the position controller number. The Soft Pedal menu should display CC 15.
Click on the Legato menu, select “Move MIDI Controller,” and press Touch Slider 1 to capture the pressure controller number. The Legato menu should display CC 16.
Click on the User CC menu, select “Move MIDI Controller” and press Touch Slider 2 to capture the pressure controller number. The User CC menu should display CC 17.
To use the touch sliders as modulation sources, press and hold ASSIGN MOD SOURCE on the Pro 2 and touch either of the sliders.
NOTE: If the sliders are not registering in Omnisphere they may need to be recalibrated. Refer to the Global Settings section of the Prophet 12 manual for calibration instructions.
LOADING OMNISPHERE PATCHES FROM THE PROPHET 12
If you want the load Omnisphere Patches from the Prophet 12, follow these steps:
- On the Prophet 12, select GLOBAL, navigate to the 13. MIDI Program Send and set it to ON.
- In the Omnisphere Patch Browser, right-click the name of the Patch you want to load.
- Select “MIDI Program Change Learn” from the menu.
- On the Prophet 12, select the patch you wish to use.
- A MIDI icon will appear next to the name of the Patch in the Omnisphere browser if the learning is successful.
The following Prophet 12 controls have no effect on Omnisphere:
- Tap Tempo
- Revert Param
- Edit Layer B / Hold: A+B
- Split AB
- Stack AB
Not working? Here are some things to try:
- Make sure the MIDI Channel is set to Ch.1.
- Make sure the GLOBAL button is deselected on the Prophet 12.
- Make sure Edit Layer B is deselected on the Prophet 12.
- Is your DAW receiving MIDI from the Prophet 12?
As a last resort, you can reset all Globals to the factory defaults by holding down Global and Write. After doing this, please follow the setup instructions again.
USING ABLETON LIVE
If you use Ableton Live and find that Omnisphere does not respond to the Prophet 12 after the profile is loaded, simply adjust these two controls (in no particular order):
- OSCILLATOR 1 Pitch
- LOW FREQUENCY OSCILLATOR Amount
After adjusting the controls, it’s OK to return them to their original condition (e.g. OFF, then ON again). This will reset Ableton Live’s NRPN logic and allow Omnisphere’s NRPN to respond. Once NRPN is working, it will work indefinitely until Omnisphere is restarted.
Still not working? More questions?
Feel free to contact us directly and we can work with you:
888-870-4223 toll free
Monday – Friday 10AM – 5PM Pacific Time